some git thoughts, personal and feature branches

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:18:35 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Leo Franchi<lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> Well, you can't rewrite the history of master. That would screw up everyone
> else who has a checkout. So it's not a matter of sentiments, but rather a
> necessity for working together. So push -f is disabled for this reason--so you
> don't accidentally rewrite history and cause some havok for everyone else.
>
> Of course, with your own clone, you can do whatever you want.

Erm, Leo, my whole email was about when you can rebase and when you can't.

Of course you can rebase your pushed changes over master, that doesn't
change master any. The only exceptions are feature branches were
multiple people work together. That is the only case where a simple
"rebase origin/master" isn't allowed.

Ian