Playlist Usability Testing

Gerrit Visscher gerrit at visscher.de
Tue Apr 28 08:08:39 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag 28 April 2009 02:43:20 schrieb Dan Meltzer:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Last weekend I (along with CALUG and MD Ubuntu LoCo) conducted a small
> > usability test on the playlist feature in Amarok Beta 1. I hope the
> > comments in the report can be helpful.
> >
> > http://weblog.obso1337.org/2009/amarok-playlist-usability-testing/
>
> 6) I can agree with this... although one could then make the arguement
> that we should also label the center area "Context View" and the left
> area ... "Browsers"?  This might make sense if we can come up with a
> method of doing it that isn't an eyesore.  As far as using the
> currently named playlist... perhaps, although I think that a lot of
> the time the playlist isn't named.  I guess this would be easy enough
> to handle, though

I guess the problem (not able to find the playlist) just occurs, if the
playlist if empty. You could just add a small text in the playlist widget.
Same for the context view.

http://gerrit.visscher.de/files/amarok2.png

This can be done nicer, of course, but I have to leave in a second for a
lecture.

Instead of the text in the context view, you can raise the "Add widget..."
Button at the bottom and make it fade or drop down as soon as the user
actually adds a widget.

One more thing: While I wanted to delete my playlist I found a weird
behaviour: If you have already selected a sond in the playlist, than click on
the empty space below the list and drag up (I tried to select all songs with
this), you pick up the selected song. This is confusing, I think.

So long,
Gerrit