Collection improvements suggestions

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Apr 2 09:18:18 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Pierre-Luc Auclair
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about this for a few days/weeks now and I finally got it
> to make sense after some comparison research (WMP, gnome apps, iTunes, etc.)
> of the way different apps manage collections and devices.
>
> What I've been trying is to make it really easy and centralized and also I
> tried removing some problems that the UI has.
>
> This is all in this doc:
> http://www.velourbain.qc.ca/amarok/collection-features.png
>
> Now as some of you know, I can't code, and it's simply a proposition. But I
> think it's a good way to do what it does, and I hope some of you will feel
> like making it a reality.
>
> I'm waiting for your comments,
>
> Pierre-Luc

I like it very much and am impressed with the very complete mockup.
The concept of showing each collection in it's individual container
with scrollarea is very nice, yet care has to take that it doesn't
become to wide.

The "transfer management context view" I don't like. Transfer progress
of individual tracks should be indicated in the main Collection view
(i.e. CollectionBrowser). Perhaps you can figure out a way to
integrated that. I was considering using the background of the title
text as progress bar. But I like your progress indicator so much I
would prefer to use that instead.

This UI only allows a device (Collection) centric view. This is no
problem with 1 or 2 Collections, but would be awkward, perhaps
unusable when there are more. How would you do a content centric view
with only one tree without collection as root items? (assume there are
no duplicate items because one can represent the versions of multiple
Collections).

Bart