extragear/multimedia/amarok

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Sep 23 18:28:50 CEST 2008

Lydia Pintscher schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
>>> And I assume you are going to tell them about this in a second?
>> Who exactly? Anyone in kde-windows who will listen or something?
>
> SaroEngels for example.
>
>> Most distros see it as their responsibility to package stuff. There
>> are probably some Linux distros who don't currently package libmysqld;
>> I doubt they'll see it as our responsibility to support sqlite.
>>
>> I think your right though, it probably isn't the upstream/downstream
>> separation. Windows is just weird where all vendors are supposed to
>> package things themselves so since apparently the mysql builds don't
>> have libmysqld, the Windows team is at a lose.
>
> And here is where you are a little mistaken. It is not the Windows
> team that is at a loss. It is us, who worst case can't offer beta 2 to
> our users.
> Anyway I hope there is a way around this and it is possible to build
> it on Windows rather soon as we have to do it anyhow at one point.
>
>>> And really: We want to be successful on Windows, right? Windows users
>>> are going to be a big user group (The biggest?). We can't pull stuff
>>> like this any longer and make it hard for the kde-on-windows folks!
>> Calm down, I really don't think its that big of a deal.
>
> /me takes deep breath
> Ok calmed down.
>
> It is the small things that matter...
>

> Cheers
> Lydia, who is going for a walk now trying to get rid of her cold

Just to give a short answer about this:
- I am listening here very closely as amarok was one of the things why I
am working on kde on windows.
- As Ian pointed out, there is libmysqld stuff in the 5.1 packages which
might need some repackaging but otherwise seems to be ok for now. As he
pointed out too, we are basically a software distribution - which
nevertheless means we have a limited amount of time we can invest into this.

Patrick

--
web:                 http://windows.kde.org