Tradebit music store in Amarok 2

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Sep 18 00:41:19 CEST 2008

Hi all,

at the Froscon conference in Germany I have had the pleasure to
(again) meet the CEO from Tradebit, Ralf Schwoebel. Tradebit is a
company that, as the name implies, trades data/content. You could
think of them as a kind of reseller that handles electronic
distribution for various media companies. Among those is "CD Baby", a
pretty large music store. Wikipedia has the following to say about CD
Baby:

"CD Baby is an online music store specializing in the sale of physical
compact discs and digital music downloads from independent musicians
directly to consumers. Additionally, the company has become a digital
aggregator of independent music recordings, distributing content to
several online digital music retailers.

CD Baby is the d/b/a of Hit Media, Inc., a Nevada Corporation [1]
owned by founder Derek Sivers. According to the company's web site, CD
Baby was founded by Sivers in 1997, out of his home, and currently
operates out of Portland, Oregon. [2]. CD Baby allows artists to set
their price point for selling physical compact discs – CD Baby retains
$4 of every sale, the remainder gets paid out to the artist on a
weekly basis. They also charge a one-time $35 setup fee per CD. [3]."

As a reseller for CD Baby, Tradebit is very interested in establishing
an online music store in Amarok 2. Some facts:

* About 2 Million songs
* Format: MP3, 128-320kbps (differing)
* Web interface: http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/3-Music
* Tradebit will create an XML interface that specifically suits our
needs. They just need specs from us.

I am in contact with Ralf, and he will happily answer any further
questions we have. Furthermore, I've intentionally left out the
financial details here, as I don't think these should be discussed on
a public list. Currently the aim is to discuss technical feasibility
and our general interest in the project here.

Thoughts?

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer