Current track applet changes. Was: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/context/applets/currenttrack

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 16 20:22:39 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This isn't just at you, but I'm replying here because its the latest occurance.
>>
>> Can we please stop the "make pretty" commits?  Artwork is so
>> subjective that I'm fairly sure this is at least the fourth time we've
>> had a "make pretty" commit for the current track applet.
>> Before making visual changes (especially in what is essientally a
>> freeze) can we please have discussion on the mailing list?  This is
>> starting to get riddiculous.
>
> I sort of agree with the gist of your comment, but then not really
> anyway. This commit fixed some very obvious layout and visibility
> issues. For instance you can now actually read the text for score,
> play count and last played ( its not on top of the icons any more ).
> Sure, there was some aesthetic changing of layouts and new icons that
> can be very subjective, but whenever we try to discuss these things it
> ends up with nobody agreeing on anything ( these things are hard to
> visualize ) so I commit them so people can see them an make up their
> opinion from there. Mainly, as Ian points out, as that is how we have
> always done things.

When we switch to git we should discuss again about how we do code
review. We could easily have "pre-push to trunk" reviews.

But yea, pre-commit reviews have always seemed cumbersome (though
sometimes necessary for eg outside contributors). No reason to start
using it now, even for art.