RFC: singletons and memory management

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Sep 11 05:50:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 17:38:06 Ian Monroe wrote:
>> if (The::playlistModel() )
>>     The::playlistModel()->something()
>
> But if The::playlistModel() is just an alias for PlaylistModel::instance()
> (which it is in every single case that I've looked at so far),

I don't think it is, The::playlistModel is just the name of the
instance function. There is no Playlist::Model::instance. The "The"
namespace is just a more pretty way to do it.

Sometimes they are aliases, but thats from people (myself included)
not knowing how to get the friending right.

> then you don't
> have to check if The::playlistModel() exists, because as soon as you call it,
> it does.  That's the whole point of a singleton.

Suppose I hadn't thought of that all the way through. :D

In my defense, sometimes singletons are only created explicitly,
though I don't know if we do that in our current code.

Anyways everyone knows the bike shed is supposed to be green.

Ian