switching on mysqle

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 9 21:50:37 CEST 2008

I think we should go ahead and switch to mysql. I've been using it
today, it is a lot faster. And over all works fine.

Some issues:
* Magnatune is broken. I'm trying to find a decent gui tool for mysql
right now so I can figure out whats wrong with the schema. Anyways I
think this is probably a small bug and can fix before switching.
*Some indexes don't work due to key length. See above where I note
that its fast anyways. :) Probably a good idea to fix the schema to
not need keys on wide columns anyways.

And the main issue:
*Distro support for mysqle is haphazard at best.
(Its important to note that it appears we should have no problem using
unpatched mysqle, which was a possibility before.)

Basically the plan of action:
*make it easy to install mysql in a prefix especially for Amarok. This
means writing instructions or a bash script, plus using a cmake that
perfers something like /opt/amarok-mysql over the (probably messed up)
distro installation.
*commit mysqle
*Notify the distros that mysqle is being used and seek their feedback
on when its OK to release beta2.

Ian