Release naming

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:06:37 CEST 2008

Alright, we have some nice flaming getting ready to go on here now!

On Sep 3, 2008, at 2:07 AM, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> On 9/3/08, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
>> Attention,
>>
>> I would like to discuss the Amarok 2 naming schemes. This is the
>> current outline.
>>
>>> beta 1 tagging - Nerrivik
>>> beta 2 tagging - Jwfosygois - 1.92
>>> beta 3 tagging - Nauepfhwy - 1.94
>>> release candidate 1 tagging - Wtgjwpsu - 1.98
>>> final release - Eteuiplo - 2.0
>>
>> (I masked the real release names in case they were meant to be
>> private)
>>
>> Let me just say that I don't mind the names for the betas, but I must
>> really veto these obscure names for 2.0 and post 2.0 release. Why?
>> Because I think they're akward, unknown, impossible to pronounce, and
>> meaningless to me (even though I know they are inuit godesses). I
>> would like to propose going back to the drawing board for a release
>> series name, something akin to Amarok 1.4 - Fast Forward.
>>
>> No offence intended to those that spent the time and effort in
>> thinking them up, please don't take it personally.
>
> I agree with all this.
Yup yup.

> While we're at it, I would also like to insist going back to our old
> alpha/beta naming scheme, which was just that: "alpha1", "beta1", etc.
I concur. Although this is only because the new names irk me. I like
reading things in a language I'm familiar with. Whenever I begin
reading the release announcements I'm all like "Sweet, new beta.
Awesome pic. Urf?" Then I pretty much stop reading once I get to the
release name. Maybe that's just me.

> With the new system a release is both named "beta1", and "1.90". This
> is confusing to everyone (including us), and doesn't even make sense
> logically. 2.x is _not_ 1.x, whatever way you look at it.
Makes sense.
Btw, this is all contigent on us coming with a release name that isn't
crap. If all the candidates given are no better than whatever Lydia's
chosen her steaming pile outweighs "ours" :-)
P.S. Didn't you all agree to this in some super secret meeting or
something? Why complain only now? (My excuse is: because it's fun)