strange collection(scanner) behaviour

Rafał Rzepecki divided.mind at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 23:34:05 CET 2008

On 10/31/08, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya everyone,
>
> Ok finally! I found someone who has the same problem.
> The only similarity we could find so far were symlinks in our home dir
> and using external drives (Though his music is not on that drive).

We must have misunderstood -- I don't have an external drive. I do
have many partitions, though, and one is dedicated for music.

> Different distro. Different places we store our music in.
> He is currently trying to find out more with git bisect.

Actually I'm trying the harder (but more fun) way after all -- the
old-fashioned debugging. I think I'm getting somewhere; the collection
scanner sometimes, for some reason, puts the './' directory in the
database. Obviously there must be a quirk about mine and Lydia's
collection that exposes the bug.

I'm currently trying to isolate the problem and prepare an artificial
case triggering the bug. I suspect there's something wrong with
quoting filenames or so -- I have many strange (illegal, even)
characters in my names. The './' entry always shows up in the same
place in the directiories (or whatever it's called) table and removing
one of the surrounding dirs seems to fix it; the dir alone doesn't
trigger it, though, so there must be something else at play
simultaneously.

(BTW, I had to make a patch to allow me to use an external MySQL to
let me peek into the database and see the problem; I'm not commiting
now because of the freeze (and because it's really rudimentary and
blows up playlist generator because of the missing randomization
function, however trivial that is), but if anyone is interested, let
me know, I have it on my git and can publish it.)

[Please, do CC: me when replying. TIA.]
--
Cheers
- Rafał Rzepecki