extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/playlist

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Oct 30 13:45:58 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, the current code ( still using pointer comparisons ) does not
> group together albums that should not be grouped, but the amount of
> things that should be, but are not, is considerable. Right now I am
> merely going on what _feels_ the least broken, and to me that is
> clearly using the album names. Even if tracks from similarly named (
> but distinct ) albums are incorrectly grouped together ( something
> that can be reduced significantly by checking the album name if
> available ), it will still be immediately clear to the user _why_ this
> happens ( hey, they have the same album name.. that is a bit silly but
> sort of make sense. i.e. minor bug ) , as opposed to now where the
> playlist feels broken as it does not group a bunch of cases that, from
> a user perspective, should obviously be grouped ( Oh, adding this book
> from librivox does not group the tracks together, even though they all
> have the same album name. Hmm, this album I just added from the file
> browser is not grouped either... That looks like a big bug in the
> playlist  ).
>
> As I have said many times, I am more than willing to do a popper fix,
> post 2.0.0.
>
> Also, I am not sure I agree that grouping is a non essential feature
> with the new playlist design.
>
> - Nikolaj
>
> ps. please remember to hit reply to all ;-)

++ on going the way that annoys the user least for now.
Also we have to keep in mind that the playlist takes up a lot of
vertical space. So the solution that groups more tracks together
should be preferred especially since those that are grouped together
incorrectly are rather obvious to the user as Nikolaj said.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher