Fwd: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/playlist

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:55:00 CET 2008

oups, forwarding this to the list too.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/playlist
To: Nikolaj Hald Nielsen <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> comparing only the album names is likely going to break for "Greatest
>> Hits" albums and friends. Only the combination of album name and
>> albumartist name (if available) is unique.
>
> This will break "various artits" albums however...
>
> None of the ways we have tried / proposed so far has been perfect. I
> am recommending, for now, as a pragmatic holdover, to just use album
> names, as this is what has caused the least amount of annoyances in
> the testing that I have done. As I wrote, this is very high on my post
> 2.0.0 todo list, so it is not something I see as a permanent solution.
>
> - Nikolaj

Various artists albums should not have an album artist (ie.
albumArtist() == 0). Because SqlCollection handles this correctly,
using the algorithm I outlined above ("if available" refers to the
case where albumArtist() == 0) it will work correctly for a very
common use case of amarok