Proposal for new music analysis algorithm with very practical uses inside Amarok

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Oct 14 00:31:57 CEST 2008

Replies interspersed:

El Lunes 13 Octubre 2008, Sven Krohlas escribió:

> I guess most of us don't know much about music similarity recognition
> (including me), so there aren't many replies here, yet. For me there is
> one important question: is it possible to use one algorithm (and so one
> fingerprint) for your use cases and Sorens?
> Calculating a fingerprint takes a relatively long time, I guess, and
> collections grow really fast these days.

Fingerprinting my entire collection (17000 songs) according to my calculations
requires about one day and possibly a a few more hours.  That can be done in
idle time (nice 20) so it's not a problem.  Correlating all songs can take
another two days.  This process can take as long as needed and can be
augmented by the use of anonymous distributed computing without user
intervention (I'm devising precisely that at the moment).

Soren's algorithm does not appear to work like mine at all.  His uses
frequency correlations, mine uses time-series correlations among corresponding
frequency bands.  As such, they deliver entirely different results.

We don't have to choose one or the other.  We can vectorize both algorithms
just fine.
--

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

Now playing, courtesy of Amarok: 19 - Hanson _ Where s The Love
If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
		-- Roy Santoro