Regressions with new playlist code

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Oct 10 10:40:09 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 04:48:14 Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>> 1) Shoutcast streams no longer work. Most streams from our
>> "Cool-Streams" script won't play; oddly enough, a few do work.
>
> I'm having trouble duplicating this.  The URLs are getting passed along to the
> EngineController just fine; if anything, it's Phonon that craps out trying to
> play streams.  Can you describe how you can cause the problem?

Shoutcast streams are usually specified not by a direct URL to the
stream, but instead by a URL pointing to a .m3u or .pls playlist,
which contains the actual streaming server URLs. There are usually
multiple servers available per stream, so that there is a fallback if
one of the servers is not functional.

For instance the Afterhours.FM stream from our Cool-Streams service (a
script) contains this URL:

http://www.ah.fm/192k.m3u

Amarok now needs to download this m3u playlist, and then play the
contents. For this we have the class PlaylistManager
(src/playlistmanager/), which provides a downloadPlaylist() method.

What happens now with the new playlist code is that we insert the m3u
URL directly into the playlist, and let Phonon try to play it, which
of course fails.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer