Bindings generator and Qt 4.5

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Oct 9 15:01:18 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> 2008/10/9 Peter Zhou <peterzhoulei at gmail.com>:
>> ok, then why not committing the generated files two months ago in the first
>> place which should save lots of Ian's and my effort? I thought committing
>> the generated files violated the KDE/open source concept.
>
> Committing the generated files is simply a convenience. We aren't
> changing the licensing of the generator, or restricting it's access.

There are some legal implications, since the generated code doesn't
fullfill GPL requirements for human readable source code. So we have
to keep the generator in some way.

But anyways, I don't like the idea of committing the generated files
since it will balloon the size of any future git repo, 14M of source
code can only be compressed so much. And future versions of the
generated code could be a lot different and not comrpess well with it.
Commiting generated code is just blah.

I'll talk to Kent about whats up with the generator.

Ian