playlist subsystem overhaul

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Oct 7 10:51:09 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not convinced animation is impossible, though it will take some
>> serious reworking of the paintEvent function in the viewport.
>
> Due to the issues you list below, I didn't make the decision to switch
> to a QGraphicsView lightly. I really wanted delegates+animation to
> work. You can trigger repaints of the whole delegate from a timer and
> such. It works and takes a lot of CPU power. It was doing this at some
> point. There was a Skype dev at aKademy 2007 and he told me how they
> redid the listview for Skype about 3 different times, trying to get
> interactive things on the listview to work right. Just trying to
> emphasize that animation+delegate is a non-minor problem. :)
>
> That said your solution might be the one to use for 2.0.

I'm known to put great emphasis on graphical perfection, and as such I
have to say that the possibility of having proper animation in the
playlist is absolutely crucial. It has been a design goal of the
playlist from the beginning of Amarok 2 development. Even if we don't
get animation done until 2.0 anyway, what use would it be to switch to
a new system if we have to change it back later?

So I would like to see proof for the feasibility of this before
agreeing to switching.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer