playlist subsystem overhaul

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 23:10:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> Playlist::Actions/Playlist::Controller are poorly name. Controller
> sounds like it should do everything Actions does as well. If they had
> clear names to make their purposes clear I would be OK probably with
> the Model/Controller/Actions trinity. As it is, I don't get why
> Actions and Controller are separate really.

I separated them because they're different conceptually.  The
Controller modifies the contents of the playlist; it forms the third
part of the model/view/controller triad.  On the other hand, the
Actions act on the contents of the playlist; the four major actions
that the Actions class provides (Play, Next, UserNext, and Previous)
end up as globally available Actions.  I agree that there are probably
better names; if I think of some (or if someone suggests some) I'll
happily change them.

> You say that it'd be possible to bring back animation, but I don't see
> how. If PrettyListView isn't a QGraphicsView we've lost the ability to
> animate and loads of functionality in that regard. Delegates and
> animation don't mix well together.

I'm not convinced animation is impossible, though it will take some
serious reworking of the paintEvent function in the viewport.  And I
really wonder what this "loads of functionality" of which you speak
is.  I replaced QGraphicsView with a QListView because with QListView,
all you have to do is override the painting, whereas with
QGraphicsView you have to patch in model accessing, selection
handling, event processing, and you still have to do all the painting
yourself.

> Also be sure that you used svn move for all the renamed files so that
> file histories are intact. Or that you are using git-svn, which tracks
> moves automatically.

This project would not have been possible without git-svn :)

--
Soren Harward