Future UI Discussion

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 21:55:55 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Kevin Funk <krf at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have to say I dont like that mockup aswell as the first one. It's still more
> gray than anything else... More issues:
> * Why do we have alternating row colors in lists aswell as separators? Why do
> we want to reimplement the wheel? Its Qt/KDE's task to style the lists
> * The "advanced" button seems to be skinned. Why? See above.
> * Buttons in the context view are too big.
>
> To conclude my statement from the former "About Amarok's interface design"
> thread:
> We have far too many self styled widgets that look crappy and dont fit in the
> global KDE theme. In my opinion we should get rid off them and replace them
> with proper KDE widgets. Sorry for those who put effort into the current ones.
>
> I like the position of the current playing track, though. I'm going to create
> a mockup of what I (yes, me) think Amarok should look like in a few days.
> As I know we are struggling with the 2.0 release, see that as a background
> discussion.

I've thought about putting the current playing track stuff in that
toolbar before... I've realized that it's quite redundant.

We already have that information in the window title, in the
statusbar, and in the playlist... along with in the osd (that can be
toggled via a global shortcut).  I don't think we need it in any more
places.