Project Governance, take 2

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Nov 23 18:49:48 CET 2008

Sven Krohlas wrote:
> Heya,
>
> after a short discussion on IRC here is another proposal:
>
> * we make a meeting to finish the draft
> * the logs are being published
> * after we have published the draft and logs we start a vote,
>   which lasts seven days
>
> while( vote_failed )
>   reschedule_meeting();
>
> * afterwards we bring life to the by-laws by electing people into
>   their positions (maybe doing it the same way as descibed above?)
>
> So everyone can read the discussions and has the chance to vote.
>
> Maybe we can also set seven days to be the time there has to be
> between announcement and meeting.

Okay, so when is the final time?  11am UTC is way too early.  I'll be on
a red-eye flight tonight and will be getting in around that time, and
then immediately going to work, the whole process of which will take
several hours.  That's also 5am for Ian.  I propose 3pm or 4pm UTC.

Also, this entire meeting might be a moot point.  We really need to
create a non-profit entity in the U.S. if we're going to be collecting
money from Tradebit (which is based in Delaware) and other stores.  That
will need its own governance with its own set of rules, and although
they are flexible, those are likely to be very different than what was
proposed in this document.  Once it's created, it might make sense to
just mold these together.

In light of the Tradebit talks I was going to start working on this
again this week.  Software Freedom Conservancy takes a bazillion years
to do anything, so it may make sense to just go it alone, even with all
the overhead.  But that's another part of what needs to be discussed.

--Jeff