Amarok urls, first (working) draft

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 16:10:17 CET 2008

> So the idea is that the ALT-F2 runners could use this?
>
> Or whats your use-case for this.

No the name Runner does not imply that. It is simply a similar concept
internally.

I have about 100 usecases for this, and after talking to a few people
in IRC the other day, I think there are many more.

First of all, it is a generalization of something I had already
implemented in the "Show in Service" actions ( one of the small custom
actions shown for Magnatune, Jamendo and Ampache tracks ) so the
implementation of this has been simplified.

Beyond that it can be used to allow other parts of amarok to aid with
searching in the collection, something which will be very useful for
some of the big stores that we are in talks with. For instance, the
service info front page for Magnatune could have clicking an album
show it in the service instead of just adding it to the playlist.
Basically it will make writing service specific applets much simpler
and more powerful.

It can also be used for sending cool links to each other ( say I want
to show you  a cool new album from Magnatune. I can then simply craft
an amarok url and paste it on IRC, and clicking ti will make Amarok
automatically navigate to it. Or Magnatune.com could put an "Explore
in Amarok" link on all their artist pages...

I also plan to make a  "manager" for this stuff that will let you save
and browse these urls, this is what Initially called "Collection
Bookmarks", so for instance, I could save an easy access link to all
the Jules Verne books  in Librivox.

Finally, I know Casey was thinking about using this system for the
track bookmarks, as they could concisely be described as such a url
and easily stored, passed around, ...

- Nikolaj