Future UI Discussion

Teo Mrnjavac teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:07:24 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Dan Meltzer
<parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Lee Olson <leetolson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Seeing as the user interface has been a pretty hot topic lately, I decided I
>>> would go ahead and create a mockup which should hopefully resolve some of
>>> the issues stated in the "About Amarok's interface design" thread.
>>>
>>> Please take a look at the attachment (which contains various minor changes,
>>> which are not quite perfect yet) and reply to this thread with ideas /
>>> comments that we can use in the future of Amarok's design. Please keep in
>>> mind that this is a long-term project and will be worked on step-by-step to
>>> achieve something that a majority can agree with.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this mockup will provide as a good visual that we can discuss and
>>> step-by-step, create a nice interface without completing another full
>>> overhaul.
>>
>> Thanks for your mockup. I have to say I much prefer Nuno's original
>> "overlapping" design for the control buttons. It gives Amarok 2 a
>> unique look, almost like a logo. And I don't see major usability
>> issues with it.
>
> There was a commenter on the amarok insider article that took a good
> deal of time to detail the issues with the buttons, as well as other
> artwork related issues... I'll just link it, rather than copying what
> he said. http://amarok.kde.org/en/comment/reply/565/11283
>>
>> Also I prefer the current look of the slider widgets.
>>

>> Again I would like to remind everyone that right now is not the
>> perfect time to dicuss such things. We are very very close to _the_
>> most important Amarok release in years, and we have our hands full
>> with fixing the remaining showstopper bugs. I think we should all
>> focus on that right now.
>
> This is long term discussion, as lee pointed out.  We seem to like to
> change the UI around in amarok by just throwing stuff in there and
> tweaking it, drowning out objectors by saying "but its a work in
> progress!!"  This method allows us to come up with a solution before
> it gets implemented, so that everyone knows where we are going and how
> it's going to get there.  I don't see anything wrong with starting the
> dicussion now, and then not acting on it until after 2.0...

Oh hell yeah finally separated buttons.
How about making them smaller and putting them on top as they were
half a year ago?
Then there would be some room for analyzers in the top left above the
progress bar and some more room for love/ban/buy/whatever buttons in
the top right along with the volume slider.
Like this: