For rokymotion

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 04:12:37 CET 2008

Hey guys,
This mail is really for rokymotion so I hope Lydia can forward it and
CC me.
For the OS X release it looks as though we'll be using the phonon_qt7
backend, which is basically playing audio using quicktime.
IF we do, there are a few problems with this approach. The primary one
being: quicktime, does not by default play non-proprietary formats.
There are two decoder plugins which do allow playback of virtually all
audio formats: flip4mac (wma/wmv) and xiphQT (ogg,theora maybe flac).
On the video side there is Perian.
We can either do what I plan on doing, which is put a link to these
decoders at the end of the installation, or we could get in contact
with these projects and ask for permission/offer to bundle the plugins
with Amarok. I think this would also be good way to get exposure
within the mac developer community.

Next order of business: Exposure.
If we want to reach beyond our taret audience I think we should target
beyond Digg and /. :-) Personally I think it would be worthwhile to
contact some mac news sites (and no ARS doesn't count), give them a
screenshot tour, and invite them to give Amarok a try. I was going to
start writing something up but I thought it would be best to put this
up for a vote. I think I brought this up before but I also humbly
petition for permission to bug mac bloggers as well.

The two point oh release, come hell or high water is guaranteed to be
picked up by digg, osnews, /., the ., and twitter :-) I think it makes
sense to put a concerted effort in to the bigger sites: wired, cnet,
macworld, that paul thurrot (windows dude), neowin.net. What say you
folks? Let's go big or go home. :-)