extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Tue Nov 18 11:47:08 CET 2008

Hi,

> Change window caption to 'Amarok 2 beta' on Mac, as discussed.

so, what about Windows? I really vote for doing the same there.

I just tested the latest nightly build:

*The installer is nice, but still very uncommon for Windows installers
(asking stuff like developer/enduser options, mirrors, confirmation for
automatically selected packages, etc).

*You have to manually install gpg to make script installing work without
error messages. No ordinary user will get that idea.

*Also you have to install special mp3 codecs manually (those might get
integrated into the installer soon)

*An error message got hidden on startup under the splash screen. So I
was not able to read it. Pressing enter made it go away (Hooray!).

*Afterwards i was greeted by a bunch of errors. Something about beining
unable to read from a device... maybe that's related to the virtual machine
that Windows is running in. I don't know.

*Same (?) error when trying to setup a collection/opening configure screen:
Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters: 75b0bf7c 4 75b0bf7c 75b0bf7c
(but setting up the collection works, rescan seems to be quite fast, but I have
no large collection to do real tests there)

*generally it runs very slow (maybe of course partly due to the remote vm for me,
but I also got that report from users running it natively on a local machine),
startup time felt high (without having measured it exactly).

*No playback: Too many errors encountered in playlist. Playback stopped.
I tested ogg, cbr mp3, vbr mp3 and several mp3 streams. VLC plays fine.

*last.fm is still missing from that build (I thought that was fixed?)

*OSD-Preview: I'm unable to click any buttons while it is active. No matter
where I click I drag the osd. ESC-key works to make the preview disappear.

*But: no crash during testing. That's really pretty cool.

was not able to make it play a single music file. It didn't get much testing.
So I'd suggest calling it Beta on Windows, too and target an official stable
release with 2.1, maybe after a call for Windows testers?

cu
--
Darkerradio Free Music Charts:
http://www.darkerradio.com/news/free-music-charts-oktober-2008/