Regarding Containments positioning problems

William Viana vianasw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:20:19 CET 2008

You sure noticed that containments in the context view are placed in a line
instead of in a 2x2 grid like it used to be. Here is what it seems to be
happening:

Plasma::Applet::flushPendingConstraintsEvent is called automatically to
update all pending constraints.
    |-> Plasma::ContainmentPrivate::containmentConstraintsEvent is called
(notice the private)
        |-> Plasma::ContainmentPrivate::positionContainment places
containments in a line.

Since they are all private functions I can't think of a way to avoid that
behavior while using Plasma::Containment class.

A way to get the containments placed in a 2x2 grid would be to set
CONTAINMENT_COLUMNS = 2; in containment_p.h but for that we would have to
convince plasma dev's that placing containments in a 2x2 grid looks better.
Other solution would be to hurry plasma devs to implement a layouting for
containments :P ... or submiting a patch that is not too intrusive.
--
    -William-