Mandriva: KDE4 Phonon Backend

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Nov 3 22:45:45 CET 2008

Adam Williamson wrote:
> For what it's worth, I believe - though, see above, my position
> shouldn't hold much currency - that it would be best for KDE to just
> pick one backend and make it work; the split between Xine and Gstreamer
> seems to be somewhat arbitrary and political in nature, and hurting KDE
> from both ends. As far as I can see, almost all the problems in the
> phonon-gstreamer backend are bugs in the backend itself, not in
> gstreamer.

Well, we did...Xine.  The GStreamer backend isn't actually even KDE in
origin -- Trolltech added it when they incorporated Phonon into Qt 4.4.
 AFAIK GStreamer was chosen because of the lack of legal issues --
essentially, they provided it for the same reason you guys chose it as
your default.  We are trying to get people on our/Nokia's end to give
the GStreamer backend some love, but you can understand our position --
many of these bugs look like strange Amarok issues when in fact they're
backend issues.

--Jeff