Mandriva: KDE4 Phonon Backend

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Mon Nov 3 10:17:12 CET 2008

Dear Adam,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Amarok development team to
beseech you to consider changing the default KDE 4 Phonon backend from
GStreamer to Xine. In recent weeks it has become apparent to us that
the Phonon-GStreamer implementation suffers from a number of fallacies
which severely degrades the user experience of both our application
and your distribution.

Some notable side effects of using the GStreamer backend include:
frequent crashing, unpredictable track progression, inability to play
files with certain characters.

We also understand that even if you would like to use Xine, you may be
unable to due to technical, political, philosophical or a number of
other reasons which are neither here nor there. In this case we would
like to ask you to consider investing a small amount of your resources
into improving the Phonon GStreamer backend. The benefits to this
would be multifold, providing a superior experience to users of
Amarok, KDE and Mandriva.

Best regards,

Seb Ruiz
Amarok project
http://amarok.kde.org

Relevant bugs (does not include duplicates)

    * http://bugs.kde.org/169327
    * http://bugs.kde.org/171692
    * http://bugs.kde.org/172372
    * http://bugs.kde.org/172545