AFT and xattrs

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Mar 12 22:40:03 CET 2008

This is something that would definitely not be useful across the board,
but what about using filesystem extended attributes to store (Amarok
2.0) AFT info when available?  This would allow the much more robust
tag-stored-with-file functionality that ATF tried to implement, without
actually having to touch the tags or files themselves.

I've thought about this for a while, but I recently became aware of the
fact that LinuxMCE actually does this to watch files as they go around.
Granted that is a custom-built distro (essentially) so they can rely on
xattrs in a way that we can't, but they do use it for the same purpose,
so maybe we could make use of it when available.

One issue is that it may not be portable across filesystems on the same
machine, but inter-filesystem, it should work well.  So it could be a
"primary" value for tracking with the AFT method used if the xattr
method isn't available.

--Jeff