add applets dialogue

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Wed Jun 18 15:01:55 CEST 2008

Wednesday 18 June 2008 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:06, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> > Careful, young padawans. Before you remove it, you must come up with a
> > solution for the discoverability problem: Right-clicking context view
> > for adding applets is _not obvious_.
>
> Of course we need to come up with something like that.
> Maybe Leinir has a good idea.

  We've actually discussed this a great deal on channel, and my idea for this
has been that when we work on this more for 2.0 (as was the general consensus
when discussing it) to utilize the lock/unlock system for toolbars and other
layouts that's pervasive in KDE 4 and spread it into Amarok's layout.
  That is, allow the user to define the layout as they see fit - drag around
panes in the layout (if they want the playlist in the middle, let them, we
just define a default layout that *we* believe is the best). As such, adding
and removing plasmoids to the context view is done by showing a big button
reading "Add applet..." at the top of the context view, and handles to the
applets for rearranging purposes.

  For 2.0, however, adding this button to the bottom of the applet list (as
in, make an applet which when clicked simply shows the Add Applet dialogue)
seems the way to go. As it is now (clicking on the context view brings up the
dialogue) it is really, really annoying. If we decide to do as KRF suggested
on channel the other night, and make it only accept the click when the window
is active, we end up in a situation where the discoverability is lessened
again - the user has to click the view by accident to find out, and that's not
really discoverability in the way we've been working with it :)

  So, for now, add that applet (small, applet-width, click-me label/button) at
the end of the applets (unremovable, of course ;) ).

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://www.leinir.dk/

                          Co-