Contex View mockups

William Viana vianasw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:39:24 CEST 2008

Hello there,

Now that I've finished classes I can start full time dedication to
SoC. To begin with I need your feedback on these conceptual mockups
I've just made:

[1] http://socios.aditel.org/~wviana/amarok/concept.png
[2] http://socios.aditel.org/~wviana/amarok/concept2.png

You can clearly see I'm no artist. Anyway, they are really simple but
need some explanation.

The idea is to have a grid applet inside every containment. When
zoomed out once [1] user can rearrange applets with drag and drop.
When a context applet is outside the grid applet it will have borders
enabled again (like before). Hiding the side browsers would make the
grid applet to resize and occupy the space left and to automatically
add the context applets that were outside of the grid, showing side
browsers again would take the latest applets added to the grid outside
of it. When zoomed out again [2] user would be able to move applets
from one containment to another.

If there is no space left for a new applet it would be added outside
the grid (maybe an animation of the applet moving outside the grid
would be nice), if there is no space left in the whole containment it
would be added to the next free containment.

The Context title's would be editable and could serve for
listing/searching purposes (list all context's titles, or go directly
to one by typing its title)

To accomplish this I think the first step is to make ContextView to
inherit from Plasma::View instead of QGraphicsView since there are
some handy functions to deal with multiple containments. For the grid
applet I have to talk to sebas since I've heard a couple of weeks ago
that he was implementing one that maybe we can use.

And about plasma themes, what will we do? Select one of the available
(slim, aya, ...) and make it amarok's default? Or maybe create one for
amarok? Or, in a kde environment, use the desktop plasma theme? I
would like to have a nice exclusive amarok plasma theme but that
depends on our artists (maybe leeo :)

Please feed me back.
--
                -William-