Extending CustomActionsCapability etc.

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:36:23 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Maximilian Kossick
<maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Alejandro Wainzinger
> <aikawarazuni at gmail.com> wrote:
>> CustomActionsCapability-based capabilities currently only activate on
>> right-clicking on a single track, unlike with e.g. EditCapability
>> which handles multiple tracks at once.  This is a bit of a request for
>> anyone who wants to extend CustomActionsCapability or create a new one
>> based on it that works on multiple tracks.  This would be required to,
>> for example, delete multiple files from a collection's Meta::Track
>> implementing a RemoveCapability of sorts, as with IpodMeta.
>
> RemoveCapability should really be replaced by checking for
> Collection::isWriteable(). Now we have to places for collection
> management, CollectionLocation and RemoveCapability, although one is
> enough imo.
>
>> Also needed is a Capability perhaps called RootCapability, which only
>> shows on right-clicking the root of a tree (top of a collection) to
>> perform certain actions such as deactivation or hiding of the
>> collection, e.g. ipod or daap respectively.
>
> the root of a tree in the collectiontreeview is not a meta class, but
> is associated with a collection instead.

I was actually pondering last night whether it made sense to make
Collection derive from Meta::Base.  This would give us the capability
interface, and not add all that much overhead I don't think.  it also
would simplify code in the colelctionbrowser greatly, only having to
deal with meta::dataptrs.  It also makes some sense logically, as
collections are simply another method of cataloging music via
metadata.