Collection View Split

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Jul 7 17:32:18 CEST 2008

Ian Monroe wrote:
> On a slightly-unrelated note: I think Amarok could perhaps have some
> smarts regarding what to do with Nepomuk vs. Local Collection. Users
> shouldn't have to understand the distinction. I would kind of want to
> see how distros actually use Strigi and such, so this is something to
> think about post-2.0 IMO.

I'm interested to...it'd be interesting to know how much emphasis can be
put on Nepomuk services, or if most distros are shipping with Strigi
disabled by default.

On another slightly-unrelated note, I'm also still strongly in support
of allowing multiple local collections for a number of reasons*, and I
don't think it'd be that difficult, but that can also be post-2.0.  But
it might be something we want to think of if we're mapping out new
database schema ideas so we don't have to modify it after 2.0 comes out.

*Here's just one of them: dynamic collections was a great feature in
1.0, but to me it'd be a lot more intuitive if you could for example
define a collection on a removable hard drive (Solid + path providing a
UDI for detection of whether it's currently there or not) and simply
showing or not showing that entire collection vs. having tracks appear
or not appear in a single massive Local Collection.

Bonus: when you have, metadata-wise, the same tracks on two devices (for
instance, FLAC on your local collections, and MP3s on your media player
that's often connected for charging or transfer), whereas Amarok 1 would
display two tracks and you'd have to wonder which one you're picking,
having the top-level be a specific collection would make it simple to
pick the right one that you want to listen to after you've done a search
for the track.  I've run into this issue myself, and I know of others
that have as well.

--Jeff