VOTING - Amarok2 to use Qt 4.4?

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:29:45 CET 2008

> Seems like the time of release of 1.80 (like the numbering here, btw)
> should be based on what features we want working. It should be before
> TP2 though.

I would argue that it is in a fairly good state now. There are lots of
polish needed, but also lots of potential clearly visible. Or as they
used to say at my old job: If it compiles, ship it!

> The primary goal of TP2 should be to attract developers, less to get
> feedback on the interface. I don't really trust users to be able to
> see through the lack of polish and judge the interface. Granted if
> asking for feedback is what might attract developers, I don't mind. :)

I think we can do both. We might get a tonne of useless feedback ( and
trolling ) but there just might be a few gold nuggets in the feedback.
As for attracting devs, if we get just a single good dev or artist
from releasing a preview, I would say it hsa been a huge success! :-)

> The switch to TP2 should be put off until someone has time to make
> sure its not too buggy /and/ has done (or would like to do shortly)
> something substantial with it, such as refactoring the playlist code
> to use QGraphicsWidget.

I am pretty much ready to jump on 4.4 a soon as it arrives for the
service info plasmoid. The basics of the engine is already there, I
just really need to be able to show proper html in the applet. This
might sound trivial, but it will allow me to simplify the service
framework quite a bit as there is no need for that little info area
below the tree view.Also, I am guessing that the wikipedia and lyrics
applets should be really easy to do, and having these 3 things will
greatly enhance the feel of Amarok2 I think ( and actually start to
show off how cool we can potentially make the context view )

In summary, I think we should release a preview as soon as the dust
has settled from the KDE 4.0.0 launch.

- Nikolaj