VOTING - Amarok2 to use Qt 4.4?

Shane King kde at dontletsstart.com
Fri Jan 4 00:38:46 CET 2008

Harald Sitter wrote:
> Arrrhoy!
>
> Since Qt 4.4 is offering a lot more possability (like html rendering) for us
> than 4.3, and also because it seems to be faster in terms of SVG rendering we
> might want to switch to it (earliest possability would be preview 2 since
> there are some prety big performance issues in 4.4 atm).

Maybe this is a stupid question, or the wrong time to bring it up, but
anyway ...

Why do we need Qt 4.4 for html rendering? What's wrong with khtml?
Aren't they essentially the same code base anyway?

If we're trying to avoid khtml because we prefer native Qt solutions,
why are we using KDE at all? I ask because not having to deal with the
rest of KDE would make my life much simpler from a Windows perspective,
and would be more be practical with Qt 4.4 having Phonon. In any case it
seems like Qt's plan is to "embrace and extend" all the useful stuff
from KDE anyway.

I remember way back in the day some apps had "optional" KDE integration:
they'd compile as plain Qt apps or with some KDE extensions if so
configured. I wonder if things could work like that.

As far as the vote goes, I'd say AYE, since we're miles away from a
release I think now is a better time to switch than later.

Shane.