VOTING - Amarok2 to use Qt 4.4?

Harald Sitter harald at getamarok.com
Thu Jan 3 21:50:39 CET 2008

Arrrhoy!

Since Qt 4.4 is offering a lot more possability (like html rendering) for us
than 4.3, and also because it seems to be faster in terms of SVG rendering we
might want to switch to it (earliest possability would be preview 2 since
there are some prety big performance issues in 4.4 atm).

Recent thoughts on it:
<nhnFreespirit> the obvious drawback of switching is that we will raise the
barrier of entry again, and just as we were beginning to get a lot of patches
from new people
----
<markey> what's the ETA for Qt 4.4 final?
<nhnFreespirit> markey: march I think.
<nhnFreespirit> not absolutely sure though
----
<nhnFreespirit> I had another nasty little thought.... theoretically, _if_ we
managed to time our 2.0 release with Qt 4.4, we could become a showcase App
for Qt and get a alot of free press that way
<apachelogger> if we release one month after 4.4
<apachelogger> there might already be 4.4.1
<apachelogger> more stability for us
----
<markey> in what state is the context view right now?
<markey> last I checked it was ugly, didn't really work and was slow as
molasses
<nhnFreespirit> markey: the contet view is actually not in that bad a
shape.... many applets just really need to render html

So, everyone in favor of switching the development to Qt 4.4 once preview 2 is
out, vote with AYE.

Everyone against switching to Qt 4.4, vote with NAY.

--
Harald Sitter
Amarok team        Project Manager         Mail: harald at getamarok.com
amarok.kde.org     Good news everyone!     Jabber: apachelogger at kdetalk.net