TagLib 1.5 released :)

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 21:23:43 CET 2008

On 2/21/08, Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
> hm, i'm not quite sure that we actually use taglib directly anywhere
>  anymore. Maybe in the collectionscanner, but that's probably because
>  it still uses metabundle. I think i've used KFileMetaInfo everywhere
>  to read/write tags. Well, not really write tags, becasue the writer
>  plugins for KFileMetaInfo have not been ported yet.

I've been mailing privately with Scott Wheeler about the TagLib/KFMI
decision, as I thought it would be useful to hear his expert opinion
on this matter. Here's what he initially replied to me:

<Scott>
I believe that KFMI is using Strigi's stream analyzers at this point,
which I would not recommend for use in Amarok.  I looked earlier this
week at the ID3v2 stream analyzer and it's very basic (probably fine for
a lot of general applications, but not so much for a music collection).
It might work for 50% or so of MP3s, but it throws out a lot of cases
that TagLib handles (UTF-16, unsynchronization, support for ID3v2.2 and
ID3v2.3 and so on).  Performance of KFMI also used to be problematic.
I'm not sure if that's still true.
</Scott>

PS: Scott is now also subscribed to this list.

--
Mark