Spreadsheet, Playlists, Tag Editing, and Queuing

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Dec 21 11:32:08 CET 2008

O wrote:
>> So, here is my proposal.  We have a view that can only be activated on a
>> temporary basis.  It is not a playlist; it cannot be used in a permanent
>> fashion or to activate tracks for playing.  And it is made temporary by
>> (for instance) closing it when the mouse moves off of it.
>>
> So, it's a popupdropper for editing playlists ...

Not in the least.

>> What it does is it puts a spreadsheet view of the playlist tracks over
>> (for instance) both the collection view and the context view so there is
>> plenty of horizontal space.  In this view, columns show common tags and
>> metadata, and these can be edited in a quick fashion as they could in
>> 1.4.  On one side is a column that shows numerical queue position, which
>> allows for quick editing of the queue position of each track (if a
>> particular track is queued to begin with).  This is something that was a
>> chore even in 1.4 with the queue manager...if you wanted to swap the
>> positions of two items in the queue, it could be arduous and take a lot
>> of mouse clicks.  Here, if we provide direct numerical access, it is
>> very easy.
> In theory it sounds good. In this instance I'd much rather click than
> type though.

I think you might be in the minority there.  If I want to move a track
from position 3 to position 80, I don't relish the idea of click (to
open the queue manager), click (on track at position 3), click x 77 (to
move the track down the queue), click to close.  Why use 80 clicks when
you can type a number?

>> This would make it very easy to adjust the queue and to do quick tag
>> edits, while not detracting from our A2 style graphical goodness, more
>> compact playlist.  A separate queue manager would also be unnecessary.
>>
>> Feedback appreciated.
> I like the quick tagging idea, but I can't think of anything
> preventing similar functionality in the current playlist view. :-/

Three issues off the cuff: very small areas to click, so hard to pick
the right tag; not much horizontal room to see what you're typing;
keyboard shortcuts to move between them would be difficult.

--Jeff