Growl support

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:01:01 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Jeff Mitchell
<kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
> Dan Meltzer wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Jeff Mitchell
>> <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:

>>> No, there's a good point in there.  KDE doesn't have a system-wise
>>> notification mechanism.  It might be nice to keep the Growl support nice
>>> and abstract, in case someone can turn it into a cross platform KDE lib
>>> that can display notifications (using Growl on OSX).
>>
>> We have knotify... and someone was working on adding an osd (based on
>> amaroks) to KNotify for kde4.1 or so... I'm not exactly sure what
>> happened to it, but we should really look into that, as if we could
>> use knotify (and growl support could instead be added to knotify for
>> os x...) it would make our code oh so much cleaner.
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking...not necessarily KNotify, but
> that our OSD could be factored out and made into a generic KDE lib.

Our OSD is essentially just a styled kpassive popup that is usually
displayed in the middle of the screen, as opposed to near the system
tray. I'm not sure what there is to factor out.

The plasma team has been trying to get a desktop independent
notification standard worked out for awhile now, with not much
success. That's really what needs to happen :\

Casey