Organise Collection/Filename Layout Dialog changes

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:56:08 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> I've voiced my concern with the organise collection and filename
> layout dialogs for quite some time now, expressing my dissatifaction
> with the UI design and the immense amount of size used by the dialogs.
> I've put in the effort to do some reorganising of these dialogs to try
> and improve these dialogues whilst taking into account the work that
> Teo and Leinir have put into these features over the last few months.
>
> Dialogs as seen in trunk:
>  - http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3024/organise5ty4.png
>  - http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9332/organise6rd5.png
>
> You can see that the dialog without the custom token widget showing
> wastes lots of vertical space, and seems all over the place. Worse,
> the dialogs are actually taller than Amarok, and the dialogs insist on
> fixed widget sizes and size policies - this is bad.
>
> General use case for these dialogs should be something akin to
> "configure once, run many times". Essentially, all these micro options
> which are shown get in the way when you actually need to use the
> feature. For this reason I've reshuffled the UI to have tabs and
> demote the character replacement options to it's own tab. This
> dramatically reduces the height of the dialog.
>  - http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3711/organise1pe0.png
>  - http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1977/organise2te0.png
>
> I've also tweaked the custom token dialog. The "collection root" and
> the "collection slash" widgets which precede the token list have been
> removed as they waste horizontal space and provide no new information
> which isn't available in the preview widget.
>  - http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5035/organise3kz8.png
>
> NB: I have not removed nor added any feature from the refactoring.
> There have also been no string changes. It is simply a UI redesign.
>
> I'd like to commit this before 2.0 final as I see it as an improvement
> on usability and design. Feedback please?

Believe it or not, I support this making it in.

I hadn't looked at the Organize Collection Dialog recently, but if it
looks like your original screenshot then it really does need love.  I
have a feeling we can make it smoother than the changes you made in
the long term, but this isn't a good time to bikeshed :)

I think that because it's only ui changes the chances of regression
are mighty slim, and therefore makes sense to go in.

There are some larger issues with the organize collection dialog
floating around on bugzilla (The memory usage one comes to mind) but
those will need to wait until we have more time.

+1 here,

Dan