transition team appointed

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Dec 1 20:28:37 CET 2008

Just a note to those that couldn't be there at the meeting today.  We
talked about/agreed upon the following:

1) Incorporating as a non-profit (and possibly a tax-deductible one)
makes sense from a financial/trademark/branding/etc perspective.  This
was agreed to be especially important as new music stores want to use
our services, and we want to be able to collect donations from them.
(Note that a non-profit corporations can still make a profit, but that
is not their primary goal, and generally it must be reinvested into the
entity or held as backup funds.  In addition, note that non-profit
corporations can still pay developers/hire employees/etc.)

2) The *where* of it has not been decided.

3) A transition team was formed to decide on where this incorporation
should take place.  The team consists of four members: two U.S.-based
(Leo and myself) and two European-based (Mark and Lydia).  Outside input
is appreciated (for instance, if Seb thinks we should consider
Australia, or if Sven has experience already looking into German
non-profit institutions).

4) The transition team will look at alternatives and weigh them.  Points
of consideration: cost; ease/burden of organizational upkeep; whether
foreigners can sit on the board; ease of accepting international
donations; more.

5) The transition team will report regularly to this list on progress.
Although it has not been discussed, we expect initial reports to be in
two weeks.

6) When the transition team has weighed options, they will put together
a proposal to present to the rest of the group.  This proposal will then
be voted upon and either rejected or accepted as the way forward.

7) The transition team is not the team that will initially sit on the
board.  The board will be determined later.  Members of the transition
team are not precluded from sitting on the board.

8) Voting rights have not yet been decided.

I don't think I've forgotten anything...

--Jeff

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680
Tufts University 2010