code documentation

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 20:03:12 CEST 2008

Heya :)

As you might know I had a talk with our SoC students at Akademy about
what we need to improve in Amarok to make it easier for new people to
join development.
A few things came up. (See my blog for more.)
The biggest problem seems to be lack of documentation in the code. So
I have been thinking about ways to improve this. It is necessary not
only for new contributors but also to reduce the bus factor of our
codebase. Currently I have the feeling it is lower than is healthy for
us.

So here is what I came up with:
1) I would like to ask everyone to documents the 5 to 15 (the more the
better of course) most obscure/difficult functions/classes/... he is
working on in the next 2 weeks. I think this is a reasonable number
and will get us a long way towards making coding on Amarok
easier/futureproof.
2) All the SoC/K students get their code documented as well as
possible if they havn't already. (Especially Daniel since the stuff he
does seems to be not so easy to gasp for others ;-))

Since I know that a lot of you are so used to the code that they don't
see what is difficult I would also like to ask the students to name
the functions/classes/... they had the biggest problems with.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher