RFC: New name for the PUD

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Aug 24 18:22:47 CEST 2008

Orville Bennett wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Casey Link wrote:
>
>> I think "Popup Dropper" is a great name, as it has a zingy, fun feel
>> to it, however that conotation is likely missing for non-native
>> speakers.
> Agreed, Popup Dropper is cool for english peeps.
>>
>> I like Drag Menu.
> But this is more translatable :-(
> How about CoverView Menurator? No? Hover Menu?
> Perhaps Drag Menu is the best we're going to get. I really do like the
> Popup Dropper name (and PUD acronym) but Drag Menu works too.

Needless to say I enjoy the Popup Dropper/PUD, but I can see the issue
especially for non-English folk.

If English-speaking people like it and think it's easily understandable,
perhaps one way around it would be to use i18nc and provide some context
to translators saying: "translate this as Drag Menu" or some such thing.

--Jeff