Urls in tables

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Aug 13 14:22:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Jeff Mitchell
<kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
[snip]
> But that prompted Ian to have a thought as to whether the url table itself,
> currently a very sqlcollection-based table built by the collectionscanner,
> should have support for adding entries from outside the collectionscanner.
> Here are his thoughts from last night; he can respond to this with more
> detail if people are interested:
>
> [23:17:02] <eeanm> jefferai: seems like the best solution is to make "being in
> the collection" not a requirement for the URL table
> [23:18:01] <eeanm> might be a bit late to do that for now though
> [23:18:05] <jefferai> what do you mean?
> [23:18:18] <jefferai> the url table is built by the collection scanner
> [23:22:59] <eeanm> jefferai: What I'm saying is that the collection scanner
> could be just one possible source for a new row in the table
> [23:23:04] <eeanm> in the url table
>
> Anyways, we decided that it's a good time to send it all over there while you
> all are together...

Basically it would be really handy to the db schema if instead of
having the columns urlid (for when the track is in the collection,
this way its automatically linked to stats and to AFT updates) and a
full_url (for when a track isn't or is no longer in the database; for
instance keep track of stats of streams or for playlists where the
included tracks could potentional start in the collection but then
fall out of it) in all sorts of tables like lyrics, statistics,
playlists that there would *always* be a urlid for any track from
anywhere. So if you play a file thats not in your collection, it would
get added to the url table and statistics recorded for it.

Not sure how hard that is to implement, since the URL table is
probably current wiped out. So probably a Amarok 2.1 change even. But
would be interested to know what people more familiar with the code
think.

Ian