extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Apr 29 10:04:45 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> >> Err, so that doesn't make sense.  Wouldn't you want to set your
> >> preferences in a desktop-independent manner, and have kfmclient honor
> >> them?  Admittedly I don't know much of anything about xdg-open, but I do
> >> know it's the desktop-independent analogue, which makes me think that
> >> kfmclient should use it, not the other way around.
> >
> > How do you think xdg-open can implement "open a page in konqueror"?
> > It needs to use kfmclient for that - which, as the name indicates (well, with
> > some historical baggage :), is the client for talking to konqueror.
> > Please, please, open xdg-open in a text editor, I think it will make the overall picture clearer ;)
> > It's just a shell script which delegates the actual work to desktop-specific tools -- like kfmclient.
> > => If you want a desktop-independent solution, just call xdg-open.
>
> Okay, I'll look into these more.  My understanding was that xdg stored
> which programs to use, i.e. a mapping of mime types... text/html =>
> /usr/bin/konqueror or whatever, preferences which could be set by
> various xdg-aware apps.  So clearly I misunderstood how it was all set up.

That mimetype handling is still done by each desktop (we only standardized this very recently),
but that's not the point, the point is that what happens is text/html => kfmclient, so
that you don't necessarily get a new konqueror process everytime (for instance
the preloaded konqueror process can be used to open the url). I think this
is somewhat like amarok vs amarokapp.