Google Summer of Code "Adding License Verification to Amarok" (fwd)

Nathan Yergler nathan at creativecommons.org
Tue Apr 22 02:59:35 CEST 2008

Hi Nikolaj,

Thanks for the detailed analysis and information.  You're of course
right; we should have contacted the Amarok developers before accepting
the proposal, so my sincere apologies for that gross oversight.  We're
definitely fans of Amarok -- both generally and the Magnatune/Jamendo
integration in particular, so we were excited about the idea of seeing
CC license support included in the library.  Our previous experience
with a student working on Banshee support was generally positive
(although the code wound up not being included for a variety of
reasons) so I think I personally made some assumptions that were
obviously incorrect.  I apologize for any frustration that caused on
your side.

Do you have a good feeling about whether it'd be possible to add
support to Amarok 2 for CC licenses?  I've cc'd Sam, the student who
submitted this application.  Sam, what contact with the Amarok
community have you had?  With the codebase?  I'd love to see this
project happen but realize that I should have done my homework.

Regards,

Nathan