Browser bar enhancement

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Fri Apr 18 11:55:38 CEST 2008

Friday 18 April 2008 skrev Seb Ruiz:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to propose a User interface enhancement to the Browser bar in
> Amarok 2:
>
> "Allow the browser bar to behave similar to a docked widget."
>
> Essentially this means allow the browser to be hidden or shown (as is
> now), or a temporary hovering overlay when the mouse is brought over
> the browser.
>
> I think this would be a great advantage because:
>  1. the browser bar no longer needs to remain open anymore, since the
> context is always shown
>  2. overlaying means that Amarok no longer needs to redraw (and
> recalculate svg sizes) the context view every show/hide of a browser
>  3. better on small form factor and low res machines (think eee pc)
>  4. still provides old functionality by allowing the expanded state to
> be docked (locked in place)
>  5. smooth sliding => eye candy => fun.
>
> Just in case I haven't made myself clear enough, here is a small
> mockup/animation I created.
>
> http://sebruiz.net/images/amarok2-browser-overlay.gif
>
> Thoughts?

  Well, while you were gone, a topic that popped up a couple of times was to
make use of the layouting possibilities and make the lock/unlock toolbar
system people would know from other KDE 4 applications, simply extended to
also encompass the layout itself... This seems to fit in rather well with
that, in that if we *do* choose to go with that ability, the simplest way to
achieve it, it would seem, would be to use the existing libraries for that
sort of layouting - So people would be able to move stuff around as they see
fit, but we ship it with the layout that we've found is best, e.g. the
sidebars, context view in the middle, and playlist on its own in the right
side...

  That said, i would add that number 4 is really important to handle
gracefully due to the drag'n'drop thing going on when adding stuff to the
playlist :) Also, good stuff ;)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://www.leinir.dk/