Ampache service, was: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:00:34 CEST 2008

Max,

My vision has always been to make as much content available to the
user as possible. Quite simple. My big mistake might be that I have
not really at any point taken smart or dynamic playlist much into
account, mainly because there has not been any. I think the difference
is that why you see the Ampache collection as an integrated par of
your music, I have so far just considered it an convenient way of
accessing music somewhere else. I am guessing your view is colored by
the DAPP collection which I btw have never tried or used.

As for thinking the proposals are weak, fair enough, but so far I
don't even think we have not even gotten to that discussion yet, as it
has so far always been about changing the projects to something
completely different than the proposals. For the record I would agree
that the Ampache one could use some more work, while I find the
Mp3Tunes quite good! It certainly matches how I would go about
implementing stuff, getting collection to collection copying up and
running, making Mp3Tunes up and downloading work, and using that as a
springboard/test case for looking at synchronization in general. I
would never try to design a framework in advance, and I have great
respect for you being able to do just that, but I have sen it fail in
real life way too many times.

On a side note to this, are we even going to have smart or dynamic
playlists anytime soon?

Ian

No, maybe in reality it is not so dramatic, and I am sorry if I am
being a bit of a drama queen, but I am taking this quite a bit more
personal than is probably good for me. However that does not stop me
from feeling hat all of a sudden, instead of coming up with a
different project idea and getting a student motivated and applying
for that, my ideas we all of a sudden crap, but really convenient to
change into something else since a student had already applied.

So to be completely honest, the Mp3Tunes up and download project is by
far the one I care the most about ( actually the idea for the other
one came to be as a way of doing at least some of the internal Amarok
work when I still though that Mp3Tunes would not have their API ready
for GSoC ) so the "loss" of this project I can deal with, it is mainly
the way this has been done, trying to move the projects to something
else without us having a decent discussion ( like this )  about it
first.

- Nikolaj