Allowing sharing a database (was Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src)

Tobias G. Pfeiffer tgpfeiffer at web.de
Tue Oct 2 23:32:43 CEST 2007

Hi!

On Tuesday 02 October 2007, 15:37, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> 2007/10/2, Maximilian Kossick <mkossick at gmx.de>:
> > Do we actually want to support sharing a database?  i know that we can't
> > prevent our users from doing that if we continue to support mysql or
> > postgres. We still have to decide which databases we are going to support
> > in 2.0.
>
> (...)
>
> I wouldn't support mysql/progressql either for 2.0 or even ever,
> certainly not on OSX and Windows. We just don't have enough control
> over it. We are going to be swamped with bug reports already, let's
> not add to the madness with another unknown factor in the equation.

If there is no necessity to support multiple backends (with "everything with
more than 10.000 tracks kills sqlite" or the like probably being
a "necessity"), then you shouldn't do it. Especially because it gives you the
possibility to tune your queries according to sqlite features, for example
using bind variables and prepare statements at startup instead of have the
query string being parsed on execution time.
BTW, isn't there a native way in Qt to handle multiple database backends, so
you actually don't have to worry about that any more?

Bye
Tobias

--
follow the penguin...