Making debug output a runtime option?

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon May 14 15:57:56 CEST 2007

On 5/12/07, Mark Kretschmann <markey at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently Amarok will only print debug output when compiled
> with --enable-debug. That's pretty much useless for anyone with a standard
> distro package, because all distros build without debug support. Sometimes
> though a user runs into trouble, and it would be helpful to have debug
> output.
>
> So I'm wondering if we couldn't simply use cout instead of qDebug, and add a
> runtime option like --debug. Seems to me this only has advantages. What do
> you think?

I'm not sure how kndbgstream works, but it seems possible that gcc
recognizes it does nothing and actually takes out all the debug
statements. And of course a bunch of new branch statements. So there's
the disadvantages.

The benefits of users being able to turn on debug might be greater though.

In what instances would it be useful do you think Markey? They still
couldn't make backtraces.

Ian