Collection View/Playlist Ideas

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Fri May 11 11:04:53 CEST 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> A picture is worth a thousand words, so I've put together some pictures
> (with some words too :-) ) that portray some ideas as for how navigation
> could work for collection views and playlists that may have many
> entries, as well as a way to reduce clutter and reduce a lot of mousing
> across the screen across the new, wider, center stage context view.
>
> I'm not a great artist, so no laughing.
>
> 1)  Mouse navigation through the collection view and playlist:
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/mousenav.png

Probably worth a try, but as Max said, I'm wondering if it works if you have a
great number of items.

> 2) (Part 1) Collection Grouping
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/collmenus1.png

Problem here is the that you need an extra row of buttons at the bottom of the
widget. IMHO we've already experienced usability problems with the "Show
Extended Info" buttons, which are also at the bottom.

> 3) (Part 2) The "Pop-Up Dropper"
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/collmenus2.png

I like this idea a lot! The only drawback is that you can't drag to a specific
position in the playlist. But that may not be so important.

--
Mark