Removing custom color theme options?

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Wed Mar 14 21:46:37 CET 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, T.R.Shashwath wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 Mar 2007 9:34:23 pm Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > after seeing this image..
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Amarok2.png
> >
> > ..I came to the conclusion that it may be time to remove the custom color
> > theme options in trunk. The presence of this feature is mostly for
> > historical reasons, back from a time when Amarok was supposed to look
> > like XMMS. Back then most users were using the "funky-monkey" theme,
> > which made both the playlist and player widget have a blue background.
> >
> > Now that the player widget is gone, I think it's time to say goodbye to
> > these options too. They're also not really maintained any more, we hardly
> > test them. Some themes clash horribly with existing widgets.
> >

> > Thoughts?
>
> At a time when we and the rest of the world are harping on and on about
> integration, it makes very little sense to maintain our own color scheme,
> separate from the rest of the user's applications. On top of being really
> awful to look at, I think it may also clash with the rest of the desktop,
> especially with all the eye-candy that we're expecting in KDE 4.

I think Mark is talking about removing the ability of the user to change it.
He said remove custom color scheme options, not default color scheme options.
Or perhaps he meant both.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but assuming that is what Mark proposed, why
would we want to prevent the user from integrating Amarok into their desktop.
In fact, if the user wants to make Amarok look awful on their own desktop,
why do we care?  They are the ones that have to look at it.

I would definitely support removing the old default funky monkey theme though.
It is butt ugly imo.  Just my 2 cents, and that's about all this is worth.

--
Greg